Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default VBA code based on column heading

john taiariol has brought this to us :
so if I have column heading called "Name" how would you write the code?

What code are you refering to? If you mean how would I use "Name" in
code it would be same as I demonstrated with the column heading
"Field1". Though, I'd be a bit more descriptive using "Name". For
example, if it was the heading for a list of items where each item had
a name I'd use "ItemName" for the range name.

If you mean how do you name a range, use the namebox on the left side
of the Formula Bar. Make sure, though, that you give it local (sheet
level) scope. Here's how:

Select the column to be named.
Click in the namebox and type '<Sheet name'!ItemName
..where <Sheet name is the name of the active worksheet.
Press Enter.

Now, whenever your code refs Range("ItemName") it will refer to that
column. If you ref this column in formulas on another worksheet then
include the sheetname.

Example: =SUMIF(Sheet1!ItemName,"TOOL ASSEMBLY", [SumRange])

If you refer to it in code then specify the worksheet as follows:

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("ItemName")

--
Garry