Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra is offline

Default Y/N and print job sequencer

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 23:53:02 -0400, GS wrote:

The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra submitted this idea :
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 14:12:20 -0400, GS wrote:

I might also add that there's way too much use of global scope for
defined names where local scope would be more prudent. Not criticizing
your work; just stating what's considered 'best practice' for
spreadsheet design by various leading Excel minds.<g

Mainly because of how long it took me. It was a LONG time. :-(

I want an external name create/edit applet where I can define names and
then import the set into a workbook. It should be able to reference the
workbook as if it is open to validate your edits as you go. The current
method is too slow.

Thx for your opinions and help though.

Well, you did ask...! You're welcome.<g

I am beginning to wonder what a recorded macro might look like, and if
I might be able to use some of that auto-scripted structure for what I
need, instead of trying to record the entire sequence.

This looks very doable. What you need is to be able to define criteria
for which panel elements get marked 'Y'. I've been reworking your
sample to better facilitate automation and so would like to know if you
want me to continue toward a solution OR will you figure something out
yourself?.

It works fine with multiple copies of the print job worksheets.

I just reset the main serial number field in all the subsequent sheets
to call on the cell in the first sheet. Both the 111 and the 242 print
great by merely highlighting all the sheets involved and sending a single
print job.

I individually highlighted the right lines in each sheet. They are all
set that way now. So, instead of sitting, printing, toggling, and
printing again, I simply made copies, and pre-toggled all the positions.
(I know, I over-explained it)

Works great. If I want a single button/key send off, I could simply
record myself highlighting the sheets and sending the print job and
assign that to a button on each master sheet.

Thanks for your help though. My complicated method may have been a
good exercise in some data handling regimen. Not sure what though.
I will globalize some of the naming stuff as you suggested.

It grew to over 800kB with all the added sheets. No that I do not need
the Y/N toggles (though they are nice), I could shrink it a LOT, since I
can hard code the coloring on those cells now. It would simply be 5
pages of lookups. No great feat there. If I could format the output
just right (pagebreaks, etc.), I could get it all onto one sheet.

That did not seem possible before.