Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bpascal123 bpascal123 is offline

Default first sip of working with range in vba excel

Hi,

I have started learning vba for excel. Now, I feel fine with cells
workarounds in a loop or else. But when it comes to a range, I can't
find the reason why if I'm following the excel object model it's not
working.

Sub tryingtocopyrange()

Dim wkb1 As Workbook 'copy from wkb1
Dim wkb2 As Workbook 'copy to wkb2
Dim wks1 As Worksheet 'source sheet for wkb1
Dim wks2 As Worksheet 'destination sheet for wkb2

Set wkb1 = Workbooks("source.xls")
Set wkb2 = Workbooks("desti.xls")
Set wks1 = wkb1.Worksheets("mysource")
Set wks2 = wkb2.Worksheets("mydesti")

'A - the following is not working
'wks2.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 3)) = wks1.Range(Cells(1, 1),
Cells(10, 3)).Value

'B - this is working but i'd rather use the cell method as i find it
easier to play with variables for indices in a loop
'wks2.Range("A1:C10") = wks1.Range("A1:C10").Value

'C - using the copy method, I should be able to copy a range and set
one cell as a destination
wks1.Range(Cells(1, 2), Cells(10, 2)).Copy
Destination:=wks2.Cells(4, 1)

End Sub

This little step that makes my life hard as a non-programmer trying to
code in vba, once over would take me to bigger steps such as copying
range into vba arrays...

Thanks,
Pascal