Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Clif McIrvin[_3_] Clif McIrvin[_3_] is offline

Default activating windows

"GS" wrote in message
on 3/11/2011, Clif McIrvin supposed :
Absolutely. That's why, when he said your code wasn't working for
him, I questioned whether or not he had multiple instances.

So then, you're suggesting he thought the file was open but when he
ran the code in the instance he ran from, the file was not open in
that instance.

Correct.

The casual observer would have no idea whether they were running
multiple instances or not.

Huh.., you might be right! I find it hard to believe, though, since
one must deliberately start another instance while an existing
instance is running.

It's not that difficult to construct a shortcut that launches a new
instance of Excel, and if the user was using provided shortcuts they
would never know.

Another possibility is that an automated instance is running with its
'IgnoreRemoteRequests' property set 'True' so when a user
double-clicks a file in explorer it starts the default instance of
Excel. If the author of the automated instance didn't change the
Caption/Icon for the running app then there'd be 2 Excel icons on the
taskbar.

I started getting acquainted with Office and Excel w/ 2003 (Win XP
Professional). As I recall, I have *always* had a distinct Excel icon on
the taskbar for every open workbook -- whether I had one or three (or
whatever) instances of Excel running, so the taskbar icons are useless
as an indicator whether there are multiple instances of Excel running
(unless both instances have no open workbook.) Now that my company
switched to Office 2010 I still get a taskbar icon for each open
workbook .... I don't recall, I may have changed a setting because I was
used to seeing it that way.

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)