Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Clif McIrvin[_3_] Clif McIrvin[_3_] is offline

Default activating windows

"GS" wrote in message
Clif McIrvin formulated on Thursday :
"GS" wrote in message
Clif McIrvin presented the following explanation :
It's easy enough to discover if there are multiple instances
running by using Task Manager. On XP, my normal way to launch Task
Manager is Ctrl+Alt+Del which brings up a dialog and one of the
choices is Task Manager.

When Task Manager opens, select the Processes (NOT Applications)
tab and look for multiple entries for EXCEL.EXE.

If there's only one, there is only one instance running on that
computer.

Regardless of how many instances are running, the ref to Application
only applies the the instance in which the code is executing. Each
instance is the parent of its open files, and so open files in some
other instance aren't affected by any other instance running. Even
if 2 instances have the same file open, the instance running the
code only works on objects of that instance.

True.

My thinking is simply that if Matthew *does* in fact have multiple
instances running then he will need to either adjust his operating
environment or change his strategy for dealing with it.

Well maybe, but that has nothing to do with why the code doesn't work
in whatever instance he's running it in. Just so it's clear what I'm
saying, I often test run my apps in 4 versions of Excel SUMULTANEOUSLY
without issue (exception: the expected issue with PERSONAL.XLS). Also,
I can run in a production instance (automated) AND my default instance
of the same version, again without issue. What makes this possible is
that each instance runs in its own thread, and space in memory. -I
don't believe there's any 'cross-talk' going on between the instances!

None that I've ever read about. If he is using multiple instances, his
solution will be much, much easier to find if he can change the
operating model to run all the windows out of a single instance.

Generally I try to approach these posts from the mind-set of a
non-programmer, non-developer. It's not been so long ago that would
have described me -- although I do have a fair amount of programming
experience from pre-PC days -- and coding / "application development" is
still something that only happens on the outer fringes of my workload.
I have seen times when that perspective helped bridge a communication
gap between a poster and an experienced volunteer on the ng's.

Just my .02 worth <grin.

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)