Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default activating windows

Clif McIrvin formulated on Thursday :
"GS" wrote in message
Clif McIrvin presented the following explanation :
It's easy enough to discover if there are multiple instances running by
using Task Manager. On XP, my normal way to launch Task Manager is
Ctrl+Alt+Del which brings up a dialog and one of the choices is Task
Manager.

When Task Manager opens, select the Processes (NOT Applications) tab and
look for multiple entries for EXCEL.EXE.

If there's only one, there is only one instance running on that computer.

Regardless of how many instances are running, the ref to Application only
applies the the instance in which the code is executing. Each instance is
the parent of its open files, and so open files in some other instance
aren't affected by any other instance running. Even if 2 instances have the
same file open, the instance running the code only works on objects of that
instance.

True.

My thinking is simply that if Matthew *does* in fact have multiple instances
running then he will need to either adjust his operating environment or
change his strategy for dealing with it.

Well maybe, but that has nothing to do with why the code doesn't work
in whatever instance he's running it in. Just so it's clear what I'm
saying, I often test run my apps in 4 versions of Excel SUMULTANEOUSLY
without issue (exception: the expected issue with PERSONAL.XLS). Also,
I can run in a production instance (automated) AND my default instance
of the same version, again without issue. What makes this possible is
that each instance runs in its own thread, and space in memory. -I
don't believe there's any 'cross-talk' going on between the instances!

--
Garry