Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Data validation, mandatory and restricted field length for excel vbs

As for the Like operator itself... I really love it... it can make some
cumbersome text expression testing much easier. Not quite a Regular
Expression parser (actually, not even close to being one), yet it offers
simple, and fairly readable, parsing syntax, something a Regular Expression
statement cannot begin to claim. I remember my RegEx days back in the
mid-to-late 1980's when we were using UNIX at work... it was relatively easy
to generate the necessary RegEx statements, but if you looked at them an hour
later, you would not recognize what they were supposed to do nor figure out
how it was doing it... Regular Expressions are that cryptic to read (well, at
least they were to me).

Yeah, I've never been able to make sense out of any RegEx stuff I've
read. -Makes the cryptography I do look normal<g!

Since you liked that example of using Like, perhaps you would find these past
offerings of mine of interest as well.

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/me...tml#post729473

Nice! I added these two to my mNumberTools.bas. I already use filter
functions I adapted from Francesco Balena samples, but those are more
complex than your offerings here. -Thanks...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php..._a_text_sring/

For that second link, look at the UPDATE section toward the bottom of the
webpage. That second link takes you to the noted Excel author John
Walkenbach's blog site; what I am particularly proud of with respect to my
code posted there is the reaction John posted in this blog article in
response to my offering it to him...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...ng_a_function/

Yep, that's what I remember reading while searching source for
something else. In fact, it might have been due to following a link
posted by you elsewhere (come to think of it!). -Something to do with
using Replace().

Oh, and if you are interested, here is a link to an Excel formula I posted at
a blog site which does the same thing as my code at the Walkenbach site
does...

http://www.get-digital-help.com/2009.../#comment-1536

Nice! I added this to my mTextTools.bas

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Just want you to know I really appreciate all the time and effort you
put into your posts. -Amplifies the 'V' in MVP many fold!

--
Garry