Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Data validation, mandatory and restricted field length for excel vbs

Rick Rothstein explained :
@Rick,
Great example of using Like()! I'm saving this one...

Just so one reading this thread gets confused, you have a typo above... there
should not be any parentheses shown following the keyword "Like" as it is an
operator, not a function.

Quite correct! Duely noted, thanks.<g

As for the Like operator itself... I really love it... it can make some
cumbersome text expression testing much easier. Not quite a Regular
Expression parser (actually, not even close to being one), yet it offers
simple, and fairly readable, parsing syntax, something a Regular Expression
statement cannot begin to claim. I remember my RegEx days back in the
mid-to-late 1980's when we were using UNIX at work... it was relatively easy
to generate the necessary RegEx statements, but if you looked at them an hour
later, you would not recognize what they were supposed to do nor figure out
how it was doing it... Regular Expressions are that cryptic to read (well, at
least they were to me).

Since you liked that example of using Like, perhaps you would find these past
offerings of mine of interest as well.

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/me...tml#post729473

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php..._a_text_sring/

For that second link, look at the UPDATE section toward the bottom of the
webpage. That second link takes you to the noted Excel author John
Walkenbach's blog site; what I am particularly proud of with respect to my
code posted there is the reaction John posted in this blog article in
response to my offering it to him...

I recall reading his comments about that, but it was some time ago.
-Worth revisiting for sure...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...ng_a_function/

Oh, and if you are interested, here is a link to an Excel formula I posted at
a blog site which does the same thing as my code at the Walkenbach site
does...

http://www.get-digital-help.com/2009.../#comment-1536

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

I'll follow up these links for sure. Thanks...

--
Garry