Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Clif McIrvin[_3_] Clif McIrvin[_3_] is offline

Default Excel 2003 VBE - Inside function, cursor over variable name does not display contents

"Cabby" wrote in message
Excel 2003:

I changed value in spreadsheet and function breaks on my breakpoint.
When I place cursor over a variable name, sometimes, it displays
value stored and other times it doesn't.

Is there a setting that is required?

TIA
Cabby

Not sure I have figured out all the whys, but it seems to depend some on
how I'm using the variable what displays in the tool tip when I hover --
for instance, function calls don't display a value, but (usually) the
variable passed as an argument will ... as long as I am hovering over
the variable and not the function!.

Sometimes I use the watch window (View menu | Watch Window) to see what
is in variables instead of hovering anyway.

From your post, I take it that you realize that the variables only have
values when the code is running (ie, in a breakpoint) and if you stop /
clear / reset the code you can no longer examine the variables.

fwiw, I don't recall any difference from what I remember in 2003 and
what I see now in 2010.

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)