Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WallyWallWhackr WallyWallWhackr is offline

Default Formatting date as first letter of day only

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:26:11 -0800 (PST), GavinS
wrote:

On Dec 19, 5:13*am, CellShocked
<cellshoc...@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet .org wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:31:05 -0800 (PST), GavinS

wrote:
On Dec 18, 3:24 am, wrote:
You could use:
=MID("SMTWTFS",WEEKDAY(A1),1) 'A1 is the cell with the date in it
Or if you want a unique letter for each day of the week you could use the
2nd letter Thursday & Saturday
=MID("SMTWHFA",WEEKDAY(A1),1)
or whatever scheme you wish.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:42:22 -0800 (PST), GavinS
wrote:

In various cells I have dates written in as dd/mm/yy format.

I would like to format this as d - that is the first of the day only.
For example 16/12/10 displayed as T (for Thursday).

How can I do this please

Thanks, I think this is the simplest although is the WEEKDAY function
only included in an addin? I will find out.
Thanks for the help

* Try this:

* It is using no special functions

http://www.mediafire.com/?ykh9nurz3zu9eeo

Thanks - another great and reasonably simple solution.
My challenge is that I live in a 3rd world country and all solutions
must be simple and be able to possibly understood by others whose
knowledge of excel (and english for that matter ) is limited

Which is why most if not all of my sheets are macro free, whenever
possible.

Also, Microsoft user submitted templates must be, as a rule.

I have a blood pressure workbook that has the macro text included for
user installation merely for hiding leap year data in the chart sheets
without jumping though hoops between charts and data. It is among my
other sheets on that site. My macros do not extend much farther than
that. It was recorded.

OOOps... my MS posted stuff, that is...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ma...0000658&ats=tc