Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JCO JCO is offline

Default Format Telephone Numbers

Sorry it took so long... I've been vacationing in Mexico for the past week.
I read your reply. So what do I have to do to have it appear in Text
format? I actually think the text field is preferred in my case.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:05:47 -0500, "JCO"
wrote:

Okay I've ran into an unexpected issue.
I used the macro to change all phone number to format xxx.xxx.xxxx
When I put the mouse on the cell and look in the Formula Bar, the number
shows up as xxxxxxxxxx (no decimals). This is the case with all numbers
and
I'm not sure how this will impact me later. Why is this the case?
Thanks

That is by design. The phone numbers are stored as "numbers" and then
formatted to appear the way you specified. They could be stored as
text strings, but this might make things more difficult in the future.

This method allows more flexibility in changing the format between
programs, or even between different worksheets/workbooks in Excel. Or
even if you subsequently decide you want to use a different format.

It does require, however, that if you import the data into another
program (or mail merge), that you have to specify the formatting you
want in that other program.