Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Cone[_2_] Jim Cone[_2_] is offline

Default ProgressBar control in 64-bit Excel

Try a test of the Win32 compiler constant...

#If Win32 then
'use progress bar
#Else
'use statusbar ?
#End If

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"Greg Lovern"
wrote in message
I'm using a ProgressBar from mscomctl.ocx in 32-bit Excel, where it
works fine in various versions of Excel including 2010.

But in 64-bit Excel 2010, it can't find the library, and I don't see
mscomctl.* anywhere on the computer (Windows 7).

On another 64-bit Windows 7 computer, this one running 32-bit Excel
2010, I do see mscomctl.ocx, in the SysWOW64 folder. The progress bar
control works fine there (in 32-bit Excel).

Is mscomctl.ocx installed by 32-bit Excel, and not installed by 64-bit
Excel?

Is it possible to have a workbook that uses the ProgressBar control
from mscomctl in 32-bit Excel, but does not use it (and does not give
the user an error) in 64-bit Excel? Currently when I open the workbook
in 64-bit Excel, I get an error that it can't find the library.

This workbook goes out to thousands of vendors, and needs to work in
both bitness environments, including vendors who may pass the workbook
back and forth between users, some of whom may be on 32-bit Excel
while others are on 64-bit Excel. Is there a better solution that just
ripping out all the progress bars and replacing them with simple
percentage counters?

Thanks,

Greg