Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gord Dibben[_2_] Gord Dibben[_2_] is offline

Default Pick from drop-down list gives empty or erroneous result

Cliff

Right-click "Pick from list" has been around in all versions since at least
Excel 97

Works for text only.

Must have filled contiguous cells above or below selected cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:05:45 -0500, "Clif McIrvin"
wrote:

"rumplestiltskin" wrote in message
A-ha! Clarification! Thank you, Clif. When I used text in A1-A5 and
then selected "pick from drop-down list" in the contextual menu when
A6 was the selected cell, then I DID see the choices. Apparently it
has to be text and not numbers. If one of the cells contains a number,
that number is not included in the resulting list. Example:
A1: one
A2: two
A3: 3
A4: four
A5: five
Control click in A6 and select "pick from drop-down list" and you'll
see a list containing "one, two, four, five" but no "3" as it's a
number.

The Data Validation rules regarding lists are much more useful. I'll
pass this along to my students (as we were wondering about this in
class today!).

Thanks again,
Barry

I take this to be a user interface enhancement of the "data
auto-complete" (whatever it's name was) that I got used to in xl2003 ...
I think that was always "better behaved" with text data, too.