Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] is offline

Default Removing duplicates but leaving data on following rows

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 04:34:37 -0700 (PDT), webels
wrote:

Hi
I am hoping someone might have a VBA solution for this

I have the following list in excel
12345 14/07/2009
12345 15/07/2009
12345 28/07/2009
35687 17/07/2009
35687 18/07/2009
35687 19/07/2009
23658 20/07/2009
23658 21/07/2009

The first Column is Col A and the second i Col B. I would like to
remove duplicates from Column A to be left with the following

12345 14/07/2009
15/07/2009
28/07/2009
35687 17/07/2009
18/07/2009
19/07/2009
23658 20/07/2009
21/07/2009

Thereby keeping the first incidence of the number. Column B is not
always dates it may sometimes be Surnames.

I would be grateful for any help on this.

Eddie

A different approach would be to hide the duplicates, so that rows are
still labelled properly.

For example, if your data starts in A1,

Select A1
(next step varies depending on version of Excel):
Format/Conditional Formatting/Formula:

Formula: =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)1
Format the font to the same color as the background (nominally white).

Select A1 and the format painter. Copy the format down column A.