Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How secure is SaveSetting?

I don't know, but my guess would be that it is accessible. But could you not
encrypt it as well?

Bob

"Greg Lovern" wrote in message
How secure is data saved to HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings
(using Excel's SaveSetting)?

I want to store user data securely. If a user logs in and saves data
using my Excel VBA to HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings, is
there any way another user can get that data without knowing the first
user's Windows login credentials?

I tested by storing a unique string there, then logging off and
logging in as another user, and searching the registry for that
string. It was not found. I also tried enabling the Administrator
account (net user Administrator /active:yes), and searching the
registry while logged in as the Administrator. Still not found.

So Windows doesn't make it easy to get other user's data there. But
can find they it any other way?

Thanks,

Greg