Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Brad E. Brad E. is offline

Default Text Formats

My Understanding: When using VALUES, one can format a cell to display a SSN
or ZIP+4 using Format Cells Custom. Of course, Excel has a couple built
in, including these two, but you could make any format you want as long as
the entry is a value.

My Problem: I have part numbers which start with an Alpha character
followed by 7 digits, then a dash (minus) and two more digits. Is there a
way to format my cell entry to include the dash when the user just enters the
10-character part number?

Specific Example: If my part number if P1234567-89, users sometimes enter
P123456789. I would like to custom format the cell to automatically put a
dash in if it is not included. Not all my parts start with P.
--
TIA, Brad E.