barnett

Hi Dave,

Actually, I want the opposite. I want the reference to stay relative even
when the user cuts and pastes.

I think putting the $ in front of the row would make it absolute even when
copying.

Barnett

"David Billigmeier" wrote:

Put the $ around the row number as well (i.e. $D$1)

Does that answer your question?

Dave

"barnett" wrote:

Hi,

I have a cell, say A1, with conditional formatting based on the contents of
the cell on the same row, say, 3 columns to the right, specified with a
relative reference ($D2). When I copy the cells with the conditional
formatting up and down, the cell that determines the formatting goes with it,
which is just what I want. The formatting for A5 is based on D5, etc.

But I want my users to also be able to cut/paste these cells if they wish
and in this case, the formatting does not follow. For example, If I cut cell
A1 and paste to A5, the formatting is still based on D1, not D5.

I would think there's a way using indirect references, but I'm unable to see
the answer.

Thanks,
Barnett