Armando Martellini

Jay i think i simplified the problem a little too much, my actual "table of
reference" is this:
BEGINN ENDING PERIOD Dates
1/4/2005 2/3/2005 P01-05 7/23/2005
2/4/2005 3/31/2005 P02-05 8/9/2005
4/1/2005 5/5/2005 P03-05 8/8/2005
5/6/2005 6/2/2005 P04-05 8/18/2005
6/3/2005 6/30/2005 P05-05 8/10/2005
7/1/2005 8/4/2005 P06-05 8/12/2005
8/5/2005 9/1/2005 P07-05 8/24/2005
9/2/2005 9/29/2005 P08-05
9/30/2005 10/3/2005 P09-05
10/4/2005 12/1/2005 P10-05
12/2/2005 12/29/2005 P11-05
12/30/2005 2/2/2006 P12-05

so, i don't need just the month, can you please assist? thanks

"Jay" wrote:

i have: BEGINN ENDING PERIOD Dates
01/01/05 01/31/05 P01-05 07/23/05
01/02/05 28/02/05 P02-05 08/09/05
01/03/05 31/03/05 P03-05 08/08/05
01/04/05 30/04/05 P04-05 08/18/05
01/05/05 31/05/05 P05-05 08/10/05
01/06/05 30/06/05 P06-05 08/12/05
01/07/05 31/07/05 P07-05 08/24/05
01/08/05 31/08/05 P08-05
01/09/05 30/09/05 P09-05
01/10/05 31/20/05 P10-05
01/11/05 30/11/05 P11-05
01/12/05 31/12/05 P12-05
i would like a formula that looking at the "Dates", would place the
date in the correct "Period" according to the "beginning" and "Ending"
of the chart, can anybody help me please?

First clean up the date formats. It appears that the beginning and ending
dates have different day/month orders.

I'm assuming column E is the Dates column.

If the ranges are always the calendar months. You can put
=E2
in cell F2 and copy down, then select column F use:
Format Cells Number Custom Pmm"-"yy

Otherwise, you might want to look into the VLOOKUP function.