Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Helmut Meukel Helmut Meukel is offline

Default Cannot search forum

Hmm,

I use the Microsoft news server directly with Windows Mail,
but "reliability"?
The news server has filters and some totally inoffensive words
cause posts to be blocked. Interestingly some - not all - of those
posts show up in Google.
Then there seems to be some posters banned from MS news.
In one thread I participated, about 10 days ago, one poster
was totally blocked by the news server, his three posting can
be found via Google, but I never got them from the news server.
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion, "Executables", Terry Austin.

Helmut.

"FSt1" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
hi
you're right. but i was just pointing that out because of the "reliability"
problem not the search.

regards
FSt1

"Joe User" wrote:

"FSt1" wrote:
this is why some users have switched to news readers.

Not a panacea. The MSnews server per se does not provide a search feature.
(Don't know about other news servers that mirrior MS newsgroups.) Moreover,
the MSnews server deletes articles older than 90 days. So search success
depends on the features of the news reader as well as how complete your local
cache of MSnews articles is.

PS: I switched to accessing the MSnews server directly because that is the
most reliable way to see articles archived there. Google Groups, for
example, fails to archive some articles posted using the MS Discussion Groups
web interface. I have yet to find a consistent rule to explain why. And of
course, I cannot know if articles posted by other interfaces are also ignored
by Google Groups.