Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Macro executing twice??

See Bob Phillip's solution below. It's the better of the two generally, but
you may need to add similar code to any other TextBox#_Change() events that
may exist and that may be triggered by changing their values within the
MSValidate() code.

"JLatham" wrote:

You're keying off of a change in TextBox6 which calls the MSValidate()
routine. In MSValidate() there is a condition that will then set TextBox6 =
"". That would trigger the TextBox6_Change() event again. I suggest
changing that code to:

Private Sub TextBox6_Change()
Dim TB As Integer
TB = 6
Application.EnableEvents = False
MSValidate (TB)
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

A potential undesirable side effect of this is that you have a run-time
error in the MSValidate() routine, Excel won't respond to events (as a button
click) until Application.EnableEvents is set to true again (or you close and
reopen Excel). You can issue the Application.EnableEvents = True statement
in the VBE Immediate window if this does happen during development.

"WLMPilot" wrote:

I am trying to test the input value of textboxes in a userform. The correct
value to be entered is 1, 2, 3, or 4. There are four textboxes that execute
the MSValidate routine. The routines work and the incorrect entries are
caught but the problem is that both routines (see below) execute twice before
actually returning to the textbox to accept correct entry. I had placed
msgboxes throughout both routines to follow the flow.

Because I was not familiar with the CHANGE() event, I had inserted an
IF-THEN statement in the MSValidate routine to catch a negative number, not
knowing that as soon as I entered the "-" part of the neg number, the CHANGE
event executed.

If you can direct me to a better way to trap entries other than a 1-4,
please let me know.

Private Sub TextBox6_Change()
Dim TB As Integer
TB = 6
MSValidate (TB)
End Sub

Sub MSValidate(TB As Integer)
Dim MSQty, Config, Morphine, Ans, Ans1, NegNum As Integer
MSQty = Worksheets("Items").Range("Z3") ' Get MAX quantity of Morphine
Select Case TB
Case 6
Morphine = Val(TextBox6.Value)
Case 7
Morphine = Val(TextBox7.Value)
Case 8
Morphine = Val(TextBox8.Value)
Case 9
Morphine = Val(TextBox9.Value)
End Select
NegNum = 0
'MsgBox Morphine
If Morphine <= 0 Then
Config = vbOKOnly + vbExclamation
Ans1 = MsgBox("Invalid Quantity. Please enter a 1 - " & MSQty, Config)
NegNum = 1
GoTo Resetboxes
End If
If Morphine MSQty Then
Config = vbOKOnly + vbExclamation
Ans = MsgBox("Max quantity for Morphine is " & MSQty, Config)
If Ans = vbOK Then
GoTo Resetboxes
Resetboxes:
Select Case TB