Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bishop Bishop is offline

Default Porting a macro to 500 users

And I am using 2007 btw.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

It doesn't have to go in their personal.xls workbook.

In fact, I wouldn't want you touching my file. After I make changes to my
development version and update the real one, your macros will be gone. In fact,
I protect my personal.xl* file (marked readonly) and I don't allow programs to
access the project, either.

Instead...

I'd create a new workbook with just the code in it.
Save it as BishopUtils.xls (or as an addin *.xla).
Store it on a common network drive and tell the users to open the workbook when
they need to have access to your macros.

If the common network drive isn't available, then I'd tell the users to create a
dedicated folder on their local drive:

C:\ExcelUtilities
and put the file there.

This will make sharing workbooks that use user defined functions (in worksheet
cells) easier to share between your users. (You may have problems with links
pointing to the wrong folder if people put the file in a location that doesn't
share that common name.)

Personally, I'd save the file as an addin (*.xla or *.xlam). But then I'd have
to give the user a way to run the macros.

Saved from a previous post:

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

And Bob Phillips shows a way to use a wrapper so that it can work in both xl2003
and xl2007.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xldynamic/ar...me-simple.aspx

Bishop wrote:

I have written a macro that I need to give to 500+ other end users in my
company. The code would have to go in their Personal.xls workbook so they
could run it for any Excel file they open. What's the best way to do this?

--

Dave Peterson
.