Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Protection Macro Causes All Workbooks to Be Locked

There's no "setting" in the VBE that would lock all projects.

Search for a file named "book.xlt" located in the XLSTART folder. If someone
has saved a template there with that name (or language dependant alternative
name) that's had it's project locked all new workbooks will start with same.
Simply move the file to a different location.

If that doesn't prevent new workbooks opening with their projects locked -

Uninstall addins one by one until new workbooks open unlocked. In theory
it'd be possible for an addin to trap application level events. Ie when a
new workbook is opened in Excel an "event" gets triggered that could go on
to lock a new workbook, or any other workbook it feels like locking say
subject to part of its name. Personally I have never come across such an
addin but as I say it would be possible.

Regards,
Peter T

"JG" wrote in message
I did try searching but since this originally happened in late 2008, early
2009, I haven't found it.

The problem is that the programmers in my office write macros meant for
specific spreadsheets. The macros do various things from disabling
built-in
menus, to preventing users from being able to insert rows and columns, use
the save as option, etc.

I am the one who usually gets to test the spreadsheets and try to crack
them.

Sometimes what happens is that the macros get to be too good as they seem
affect any workbook, new or existing, that I open in Excel thereafter.
Meaning if I open a totally unrelated workbook that does not use those
macros, I still cannot use save as, insert, etc.

When I originally posted this before, someone gave me a code that gets
inserted into the VB editor that would reset everything.

I'm not a programmer and know very little about the VB end of Excel, thus
really appreciate your help.

P.S. I've seen this happen in Excel 2000 and 2003, but haven't
experienced
it in 2007 yet.

"Peter T" wrote:

Did you try searching for the for your post and the answer you were
given.
If you can't find it give some more details and I will try to find it for
you. If between us we still can't find it, I'll suggest some possible
reasons your all your workbooks are locked. But as there are a number of
reasons much better to find the one you already know will is relevant for
your situation.

Regards,
Peter T

"JG" wrote in message
I've posted this before, just forgot the answer...sorry.

One of our programmers created a macro to prevent insert option, save
as
option etc. for a specific workbook.

The macro has, however, now infected all workbooks. Even if you create
brand new workbook, all of these options are grayed out.

I know there is a reset code. Could someone share it with me. Thanks.

.