Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bamforth Bamforth is offline

Default How do I apply State O Maine 5% Sales Tax schedule to $ amount

First and foremost, I want to thank you for your time and effort. However,
tax on $1.10 is just $.05 not $.06...Therein lies my problem. The tax
schedule does not change above $1.00. The same calculations apply. But before
I get carried away, I'm going to try your formula first. Once again, thank
you very much.

"Joe User" wrote:

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:
Try $1.10

I did. Try reading the assumptions in my posting. The OP failed to tell us
how sales tax is computed above $1. So I wrote: "Assuming tax of $0.06 an
amounts between $1.01 and $1.20".

And IF(A1<=0.1,0,ROUNDUP(A1*5%,2)) is indeed $0.06.

However, I have since looked up the Maine sales tax information [1]. I
learned that the tax table included by the OP applies only to amounts of
"less than" [sic] $1.

For amounts over $1, the rule is: "Where the tax to be paid includes a
fraction of one cent, the fraction is not required to be paid where it is
less than one-half cent. A full cent, however, must be paid where the
fraction is one-half cent or more."

So it appears that the correct formula is:

=IF(A1<=0.1,0,IF(A1<=1,ROUNDUP(A1*5%,2),ROUND(A1*5 %,2)))

("<=1" matches the column title of the Maine tax tables. And "<1" makes no
difference.)

So ironically, tax on $1.10 is indeed $0.06.

(But tax on $1.01 to $1.09 is $0.05. New information, new results!)

-----
Endnotes

[1] http://www.maine.gov/revenue/salesus...2000charts.pdf

.