Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Paste Name Questions

Maybe you didn't start with a brand new workbook.

Maybe you started with a workbook that was similar. Then started making
changes. So you'd inherit all the good stuff you wanted and all the not-so-good
stuff you didn't want.

It's happened before <vbg.

cardan wrote:

On Apr 20, 5:41 pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
I meant the work you do in the mail merge in MSWord.

I'm not sure what button you click on to start that merge, though. If you're in
MSWord, do you click on Tools|Letters and Mailings (in MSWord 2003 menus -- or
its equivalent in MSWord2007)?

Or did someone create a macro that runs when you click a button?

If you have questions about the MSWord portion, then be very careful. You don't
want to break that button!

I'd try to find the person/department that set up the mailmerge and ask some
question.

If you can't do that, then try deleting thenamesthat you think should be gone
-- but make sure there's a backup with thosenamesstill in it!

cardan wrote:

<<snipped

Sorry, I am not sure how to answer your question as to mechanized or
manual. I essentially have a worksheet dedicated for the mail merge.
The data on this tab is either manually entered or pulls from other
sheets. The data to be merged is in column D. Column B has the
correspondingnames. Column A is numbers 1-255. I then have Vlookups
in the top 3 rows (A1:IU3) that find the corresponding number in
column A and returns the Name and Value to be mail merged. I have two
Tabs for mail merges (I have 2 different reports that pull from the
same spreadsheet).

I guess the mail merge into word would be manual. When we set it up
the mail merge, we have to manually click a button to update the mail
merge. The Excel workbook has to be closed when doing this.

I hope this helps shed some light on the issue. Thanks again

--

Dave Peterson

Hi Dave, thank you for the response.

When we originally set up the mail merge, we use the Mail Merge Wizard
(Mailings-Start Mail Merge- Step by Step Wizard) We run Office 2007.
So no macro.

I deleted all the paste names that showed the REF error at the end.
There were around 270. This template has never left the office so I
am very perplexed and alarmed how someone else had links to it.

Thanks again!

Dan

--

Dave Peterson