Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ker_01 ker_01 is offline

Default Excel 2007-Macros

Sue-

Macros are recorded in the programming language VBA (Visual Basic for
Applications). Knowing VBA can certainly help a user extend the functionality
of their macros, but in-depth knowledge of VBA is not generally required to
record and use simple macros.

However, in my experience, a very basic knowledge of the Excel object model
in VBA is helpful. When Excel records a macro, it records exactly what you do
in Excel, but does not always record enough 'context' information to make
every recorded macro work "right out of the box". So there may be situations
where your recorded macro doesn't work the first time you try to run it. If
this occurs, if you simply post your macro code to this newsgroup with a
clear explanation about what you were expecting it to do, and what it is
actually doing, then helpful contributors in this group will modify your
macro so it works properly, and usually with enough information that you'll
start learning a little VBA along the way

Best,
Keith

"SueW" wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you need to know how to use VBA to use macros
in Excel? I am an educator and have an end user who wants to record macros,
but neither of us knows VBA. The end user cannot give me an examples of what
she wants to record as a macro, but would like to know the process. I don't
want to show her how if at some time in the future we need to use VBA.