Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default dynamic sort

Added notes: I used separate Const values for the columns involved and the
first data row so that the routine can be re-used in the future in other
projects with very little 'attention' from you, just change those Const
values and you have a single field sort routine that works in many different
places. Also by recording macros for 2 and 3 field sorts you can see how to
easily adapt it to those situations.

Two lines of code I left out that could go just before the End Sub are these:
Set sKey1 = Nothing
Set sortRange = Nothing

Those explicitely release those resources back to the system and help
prevent potential "memory leaks", just part of good housekeeping.

"jeffatwork" wrote:

How do I create a dynamic variable to sort my data. I'm attempting to creat
buttons to sort by last name, total_score, ID, location.

Thought if there was a way to set a variable (my sort range), I could then
sort it on any of those criteria. Hope that makes sense.

its this first part after the word Range ( ??????) instead of "A2:O120" I
want it to find the last row and create that Range as a variable

Range("A2:O120").Sort Key1:=Range("E2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:= _
xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False,
Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
DataOption1:=xlSortTextAsNumbers

Sorry, new to this stuff..

Thanks in advance