Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Indynana Indynana is offline

Default How to Combine Columns of Text - sounds easy

Good Morning, Gary,

First, thank you for trying to help me with this problem.
Second, I aplogize for obviously not including an accurate description of
what I am trying to do.

I am using Excel 2007 with .xlsm file extension.

I don't want to concatenate the cells. I want to combine the columns, so
that all of the cells in Columns A and B are listed in Column C. Also, there
should be no blank cells in Column C even though there may be some in Col A
or B. Please see the example below.

Col A Col B Col C
5 5 5
3 1 5
4 3
6 1
1 1 6
1
1

I have tried different variations of your formula, for example:
=IF(A1<""),A1,IF(B1<"",B1,"") but the problem with this version of the the
formula is that it will stop the first time it finds data in a cell.

Again, I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear in my first post. Thank you!

Indynana

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

will a formula work? not sure i understand exactly what you want, try this:

=IF(OR(A1,B1=""),"",A1&B1)

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Indynana" wrote in message
I have two columns of text that I want to combine into a third column. The
two columns of text may have blank cells mixed in with the text. These
blank
cells need to be ignored and not included in the combination. How do I
combine the two columns into a single column? I have tried
Range.Consolidate
and Selection.Consolidate in VBA. In both cases, I can consolidate ranges
of
numbers, but not text. I've also tried the Consolidate command on the
Data
tab. I can't think of any formulas that will work.

If you can think of a way to do this, PLEASE let me know. I will
appreciate
any help that you can provide.

Thank you!

.