Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMay JMay is offline

Default Function to Query CSV file

Check out the basic VLOOKUP() Function in Help -- It will do this for you.

"Jason" wrote:

I have a simple csv file with two fields (employee number, employee name).

I would like to build a custom function (something like GetEmployeeName), so
that when the user enters =GetEmployeeName('12345'), it will query the csv
file, look for employee number 12345 and return that employee's name.

I have very basic VBA and SQL skills. Basically enough to know this is
possible, but not enough to make it happen.

Has anyone written anything like this in the past?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jason