Dave Peterson

You should be able to open all excel files. The file format changed in xl97,
but hasn't changed since.

(I use win98 and Office XP (2002), by the way--so you could upgrade through
Office XP if you wanted. But you won't be able to go to Office 2003. That does
need a more recent version of windows.)

I guess the next question is: What happens when you try to open one of these
files?

Do you get an error message?

Just a guess, but maybe this link from Chip Pearson's site will help:

george wrote:

Iam running Windows 98 with Word and Excel from Office 97. I can't open any
files created from Excel or Word 2002 SP-2. Is there a way I can open these
files. I can't upgrade to that level because of the level of Windows Iam
running.

--

Dave Peterson