Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default format a formula to general (not text)

Try this

With ActiveCell
.NumberFormat = "General"
.Formula = "=TRIM(Z4)"
End With

Your cell is probably preformatted as text, so when you enter the formula,
it remains that way.
--
HTH,

Barb Reinhardt

"Emma Aumack" wrote:

I am importing a text (.csv) file into excel and formatting it via a Macro.
in one column I have to insert a formula but when I do so, the formula is
showing, i.e. "=TRIM(Z4)". I have tried to format to "general" but it
doesn't work unless I click inside the cell and press enter. How do I apply
the "General" formatting without have to manually click inside the cell? I
want to do it in my macro.

Here is my code:

ActiveCell.Formula = "=TRIM(Z4)"
Selection.NumberFormat = "General"