Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gary Keramidas[_4_] Gary Keramidas[_4_] is offline

Default excel 2010 question regarding determining the last row

yes, charles, that's exactly what i saw happening and discovered this was a
way of getting it to work correctly.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Charles Williams" wrote in message
Hi Gary,

Here is one possible explanation:
Its possible to have both a compatibility workbook (65K rows) and a
non-compatibility workbook (million rows) open at the same time.

If you dont fully qualify the row count (as in ws3.Cells(Rows.Count,
"A") then its possible that the active sheet referred to by Rows.count
will have a million rows but that ws3 will only have 65K.

I was caught by this kind of problem in 2007 and spent some time
puzzling about it before I realised what was happening.

regards
Charles

never really used 2007, so i'm wondering if you've seen this behavior in
2010, or 2007, for that matter.

typically, in 2003, ws3.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row, would return
the last row

but, in 2010, i frequently get debugs on this line when opening a 2003
workbook in compatibility mode.

so, i've resorted to change the code to this and it seems to resolve the
issue:
ws3.Cells(ws3.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

seems excel is sometimes thinking it has a million rows, when in fact
there
are only 65000, so it debugs. seems to happen when i open another workbook
with code.

anyone seen this or have a better way?