Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel[_787_] joel[_787_] is offline

Default update in the workbook by different users

The operating system like windows share Point cannot resolve conflicts
when two people simulataneously writes to a file like a database. the
database must resolve a conflict.

suppose you have this situation

A) Person 1 reads a database entry
B) Person 2 reads the same entry
c) Person 2 writes the entry back into the database
d) Person 1 writes the entry back into the database

Under this situation the Person 2 data get over-written. The database
must track each users entries and must either not allow Person 2 to read
the entry while Person 1 is changing the entry or not allow Person 1 to
write the entry.

Excel doesn't perform the checking on each entry in the spreadsheet.
Instead excel tries to lock out the spreadsheet to resolve conflicts.
Excel algorithm often don't work and causes the spreadsheet to be
lockout so nobody can read the file until the server is rebooted. Often
people have to make a copy of the lockout workbook so then can continue
to make changes to the workbook.

You don't have this problem if you use an access database instead of an
excel spreadsheet.

I don't know you programming talents so I can't say how difficult this
would be. I have so examples of reading and writing to an access
database using Excel VBA.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229