RedChequer

Thanks Bernard

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

From http://mathworld.wolfram.com/search/

Searched for "permutation". Results 1 - 10 of about 233.

Permutation -- From MathWorld
A permutation, also called an "arrangement number" or "order," is a
rearrangement of the elements of an ordered list S into a one-to-one
correspondence with S itself. The number of permutations on a set of n
elements is given by n! (n factorial; Uspensky 1937, p. 18). For example,
there are 2!==2.1==2 pe

Searched for "combination". Results 1 - 10 of about 105.

Combination -- From MathWorld
The number of ways of picking k unordered outcomes from n possibilities.
Also known as the binomial coefficient or choice number and read "n choose
k," _nC_k=(n; k)=(n!)/(k!(n-k)!), where n! is a factorial (Uspensky 1937, p.
18). For example, there are (4; 2)==6 combinations of two elements out of
the se
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Combination.html - 21k - 2005-03-16

Note the reference to ORDER and UNORDERED

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"RedChequer" wrote in message
Myrna,
I already posed a than yo reply bu I meant to ask, Wht is the difference
between Permutations & Combinations

"RedChequer" wrote:

Thanks Myrna

"Myrna Larson" wrote:

If the only thing that matters is the identity of the 6 numbers, and
the order
in which they were selected is not important, the function you want is
COMBINATIONS, not PERMUTATIONS. The function name is COMBIN.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:49:01 -0700, "RedChequer"
wrote:

Can any one give me the formula for doing permutations
ie. odds against picking 6 numbers, not in numerical order, from 45
numbers.
Excel's PERMUT function for =Permut(45.6) returns odds of
5,864,443,200
This seems too excessive, it's more like the odds of picking the 6
numbers
in numerical order.