Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
B Lynn B B Lynn B is offline

Default How do I find a column number for a cell containing a value

cells.find can be used to return a row/column number or address or any number
of other properties the cell might have.

myRow = cells.find(What:="Joe Smith").row
myCol = cells.find(What:="Joe Smith").column
myAddr = cells.find(What:="Joe Smith").address

"Gilgamesh" wrote:

Hi,
I have a range of cells A1:CZ1 all of which have different values. I
need to find the column number for a cell that contains a certain value.
I know I can use cells.find which returns the value rather than the cell
reference, and I have seen other posts in this group to return a number when
the cell is known range(ColAddress).cells(1,1).column

I can easily put this in a simple loop but I was wondering if there was a
smarter way that could do it in one line using built-in functions. If it
was a loop it would have to be processed many times for the different values
I need to lookup slowing things down quite a bit.

Thanks

.