Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robert Crandal Robert Crandal is offline

Default Search options

Hi Roger.....thank you for responding.

We will be adding new rows of data to this spreadsheet
every day. The most recent entry will be placed at the top
of the table to indicate it is the most recent entry. The thing
that I don't like about the Auto Filter feature is that it has
options to sort or re-arrange the entire table, which might
be unacceptable for my needs. I do not want anyone to
have the ability to re-arrange the rows of data under any
circumstances at all. Most of my users are not proficient
with the built in auto filter, so I was looking for something
more intuitive.

BTW, if I do an auto filter or a search using Exce's Auto
Filter feature, I notice that my entire table disappears
except for the target rows. How do I make the entire data
re-appear like normal?? I always get the impression that
my data disappears or gets destroyed during a filter or
sort operation.

BTW, does your FastFilter file simply call macros that
run Excel's auto filter functions?? I might look into that,
I just wanted more info before I test it.

thank you!

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi Robert

You could just use a filter.
If you are using XL2003, place cursor within data
listDataListCreateclick my list has headers

If you are using XL2007, place cursor within data listInsert
tabTableclick my table has headers

In both cases a dynamic List/Table will be created, which will grow as you
add more items.
Using the dropdown on each column header you can select individual values,
or begins with, or contains and many other options.

If you don't want to use the dropdowns, I have created a file called
FastFilter, which just allows you to type your search criteria directly
into the row above your filter.
It can be downloaded from
http://www.contextures.com/Fastfilter.zip