Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bill McMurray Bill McMurray is offline

Default Detect if Excel file is "read only"???

Robert,

You're alright in my books.

The good news for teachers is that there are just some things you *can't*
learn through the internet.

Cheers from an old dinosaur.

Bill

"Robert Crandal" wrote in message
Hi Bill,

But, if nobody relied on you and merely used Google for
their information, then you would be out of a teaching job,
wouldn't you?? ;)

I'm just being a smart ass here, haha. No offense is intended
to ya! Thanks for the advice though.

Robert

"Bill McMurray" wrote in message
Robert,

I am just an old, gray-haired teacher. A very useful lesson for my
students is to learn self-instruction and not rely on others if it is not
necessary. In other words, it would behoove them to research information
themselves. It can be a powerful tool, especially today in the age of
the internet.

I have not responded before in this NG but I do frequent the threads so I
may learn more. What I have noticed with many of your questions is that
the answers are right at *your* fingertips but you rely on others to
provide them for you.

In this case, if you simply searched VBA help for "readonly", you would
have found "workbook.readonly property" which is exactly what Mr.
Keramidas provided you with. You could have had your answer in a matter
of seconds instead of minutes.

In addition, a Google search for
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...qi =&aql=&oq=
resulted in the first hit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153058

I hope you accept this advice (from a teacher of 42 years) in the manner
intended.