Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default What is FreeFile() function???

Robert,

In VB you can open files and then manipulate them using FileNum.

Now in a simple piece of code you could use Filenum 1 (one) manually
assigned in the fairly certain knowledge the number isn't being used but in
more complicated code this become very risky indeed because if you manually
assign the number you may start geting uppredictable results.

Hence FreeFile() which allocates the next 'unused' number. In the snippet
below Filenum is assigned to the next free number by FreeFile and thereafter
the file is referred to by the number assigned to it and not the name

Dim FileNum As Integer
LogMessage ="Some very important text"
FileNum = FreeFile
Open FName For Append As #FileNum
Print #FileNum, LogMessage
Close #FileNum ' close the file

Mike

question.

"Robert Crandal" wrote:

I'm trying to understand what exactly is the purpose of the
VBA FreeFile() function??? If I call this function inside
one of my VBA modules, it will return a numerical value.
What is this numerical value??

thank you

.