Hi Dave,

Trying to fix the other problem I found the solution for this one.

Open explorer, go to tools/Folder Options/File Types

Scroll down to xls.

Click on the Advanced button.

Select Open from the list and then click Edit.

Edit the "Application used to perform action". change %1 with "%1" (add
quote marks).

That should take care of your problem.

Alex

Dave Peterson wrote:
If I want separate instances, I'll either use a shortcut to excel.exe that I put
on the desktop (or just windows start button|Run|Excel).

Then I'll do the File|open within that instance.

I've always had trouble when the file names contain spaces.

Are you sure that you're not just clicking on new shortcuts that contain
spaces--and the old ones didn't?