Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ivaylo Ivaylo is offline

Default Help - macro messes up the character formating

Ok, Ron.

It's a dictionary database which need to be manipulated in Excel

Column A contains words. Column B contains a longer text which
contains formatting like bold, italic, underline, and some words in
color.

When I run the macro, it replaces the markers #### with a linebreak
[Chr(10)]. However, the formatting in column B is messed up - no
italic, no bold, very often the whole text is in some of the color
that some of the words had before running the macro - e.g. red, blue,
etc.

I'd like to replace my markup symbol (####) with a linebreak and
preserving the formatting of the cell contents as is.

Any idea how to modify the macro to do this?

On Feb 5, 1:16*pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 02:42:55 -0800 (PST), Ivaylo
wrote:

Greetings,

I need help with a macro.

I use this macro in Excel 2007:

Sub ReplaceTags2()
For Each c In ActiveCell.CurrentRegion.Cells
c.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(c, "####", Chr(10)
& Chr(10))
Next
End Sub

My data contains the markers ####, which I want to replace with
linebreaks.

The macro does its work but messes up the formatting in the cells. I
uploaded the file "Book1.xlsm" hehttp://www.box.net/shared/8rdsg533qp

The file contains a sample of the data + the macro itself.

Can anyone help me modify the macro to do the replacement without
changing anything to the cell formatting?
Thanks in advance!

If you don't get a response, post more data here in text form. *Many of us will
not upload unsolicited files from the web for fear of infection.
--ron