Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Illegal Character Imported

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
character(s) is:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.aspx

Then using instr would seem like a reasonable approach.

If you still have trouble, use Chip's routine to find the character. Post back
with what you found. (I can't see what it is in your message.)

It'll make it easier for others to test and help.

Mike H. wrote:

I am importing data from another system into an Excel File. In some cells I
get a character that in Excel looks like a question mark with a border around
it. If I copy that character and paste it in the VBA editor, it appears as
two Double Quotation marks "" with space between them and they are stacked
vertically. Anyway, my question is, how can I test of the existence of this
character in the cell. If I can detect it is in there I can create a
work-around for my data. Is there some kind of a VBA command that checks for
the existence of specific ascii characters (I don't know what ascii character
it is.) Below is a copy of it, pasted in he
"
"

Thanks for any help.

--