Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
J_Knowles J_Knowles is offline

Default IF Formula

Try this formula, if no match, you will get 0. FYI, the Find function is
case sensitive.

=ISNUMBER(FIND("WC",A1))*1+ISNUMBER(FIND("GRP",A1) )*2+ISNUMBER(FIND("PIP",A1))*3

HTH
--
Data Hog

"Joe" wrote:

I have lists of insurance names followed by their types in once cell
example:
cigna WC
Aetna GRP
Progressive PIP

i would like to have a column that would show me the type so i can sort by
type (my report doesnt have 'type' column)

i need the formula to say
"if cell contains 'WC' then the result equal 1, if the cell contains 'grp'
then the result would equal 2, if the cell contains 'PIP' then the result
would equal 3"

i cannot figure out how to write that kind of formula

thank you MS community