Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLGWhiz[_2_] JLGWhiz[_2_] is offline

Default Run time error '91'

P.S. You can only use Select on the active sheet. So if you are calling
this workbook from another workbook, you would have to do:

wbYTD.Activate
Sheets("Sheet1").Activate 'Or whatever name
ActiveSheet.Range("Q:Q").Select

"JLGWhiz" wrote in message
Failing statement
'insert a blank column for new month's data
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("Q:Q").select

Either:

wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns(17).Select

Or:

wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Range("Q:Q").Select

"cfstibo via OfficeKB.com" <u57261@uwe wrote in message
I am trying to manage a "rolling" 12-month spreadsheet. The intent is to
insert a blank column ("P") and copy an existing columns format into the
blank column so that I can then enter a new month's data. The program
fails
with a "Run time error '91' Object variable or With block variable not
set"
message at the indicated statement below:

'copy the format of columen P
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("P").Select
Selection.Copy <-----------------------------------------
Failing statement
'insert a blank column for new month's data
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("Q:Q").select
xlYTD.Selection.Insert Shift:+xltoRight

The failure occurs the first time the code is run against the Excel file.
Following a re-boot, the program executes as expected and producees the
proper output. I have a feeling this has to do with Early or Late
binding
but, as a novice, I'm not sure I understand what that's all about or how
correct the problem if that is what it is. Help me, please!