Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Averaging Time

I would include both the date and time in both fields. Then I wouldn't have to
worry about prisoners who took longer than 24 hours to get bailed out (or longer
than 48 or 72 or...).

And then format the difference as:
[hh]:mm

As well as the average.

ps.
In this formula:
=SUM(24-B5) +(C5)
You don't need =sum()

You could have used:
=24-b5+c5

Mike H's formula:
=B2-A2+(B2<A2)

is short hand for:
=b2-a2 + If(b2<a2,1,0)

And 1 is equal to a single day (24 hours).

Exec. Lt. GMP wrote:

SIGN IN RELEASE TOTAL TIME
20:20 1:37 5:17
20:20 1:43 5:23
21:07 3:20 6:13
21:30 23:40 2:10
0:20 0:39 0:19

AVG SIGN IN TO RELEASE" 13:28

THIS AVERAGE SHOULD NOT BE 13 HOURS AND 28 MINUTES

ARGUEMENTS USED BELOW

=SUM(24-B5) +(C5) TO GET TOTAL TIME
=AVERAGE(D67:D71) TO GET AVERAGE

This is a copy spread sheet and formulas, I was given to determine how long
it takes for a Prisoner to bond out of jail.

I think the problem may be with entering 00:00 ( Midnight )to 00:59 (12:59
am) into a cell

what is wrong with this formula, I am attempting to average hours and
minutes.

GP

--

Dave Peterson