Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Default Solver? Maximum number of variables?

Martin Brown -

Please provide a data set for testing the polynomial fit and LINEST.

Also, please verify that you are using Excel 2003 SP3 and Excel 2007 SP2 for
your tests.

- Mike Middleton

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Mike H wrote:
Hi,

It's 200, have a look here

Mike

"TK2301" wrote:

Is there a maximum number of adjustable variables that Solver can work
with
at any one time ... or do I have a memory limitation?

Although the people that programmed it for MickeySoft will sell you a
version that is a lot more capable - for a price.

http://www.solver.com/

BTW XL2007 chart polynomial fit for difficult ill conditioned data is
much worse than XL2003's version. The latter was programmed by someone
who understood what they were doing. I guess they must have moved on.

The "improved" XL2007 gets the same wrong answer as LINEST :(
(and certain other commonly used stats applications)

Regards,
Martin Brown