Harlan Grove wrote:

This isn't well documented, but VBA procedures called from worksheet
formulas can't change anything in the Excel environment.

When do you want to clear the results range? Why do you need to clear
the results range rather than write formulas in it which could

display
nothing (so appear cleared) when there's no corresponding inputs?

Thanks for replying.

The result range is a subset of the input range selected randomly. In
randomly selecting from the input rage, I wanted to avoid duplicates by
scanning the entries already selected. To make sure that the result
range is initially empty, I wanted to clear it.