Dave Peterson

If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code
(auto_open/workbook_open??).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
.EnableOutlining = True
.EnableAutoFilter = True
End With
End Sub

(I wasn't sure what caused your outlining--data|Group or Data|subtotals).)

It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember
it after closing the workbook.)

carlyman wrote:

I want to protect a worksheet; however, I don't want to lose the ability
to collapse/uncollapse rows that I have grouped together.

What option needs to be checked when locking the sheet to allow this?
Or, is it not possible?

Thanks,
JC

--