Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob A Bob A is offline

Default Error 1004 when cell set to a value

I get an error 1004 when I execute the VBA function below. I've tried
everyting, Range = ID, cells(1) = ID, Range("test").Cells(1).Value = ID, you
name it. Always the same error.

Range "Test' is a named range of one cell on sheet 1 that contains the value
997.

The Function below reads the correct value out of the named range into the
var ID, but errors out when I write to the cell. Cell is not locked. Sheet
is not protected. Trust Center allows VBA code. Code is in a seperate
module, not on the sheet code.

Purpose is to increment a value, and save it in a cell on the sheet.

I call the function from another cell, like this: =IF(B4="","",NewID())

I've been at this for hours, researching what could be wrong. About ready to
toss the computer out the window. Anyone have any ideas?

Function NewID()
Dim ID As Long

ID = Range("Test").Cells(1).Value
ID = ID + 1
Range("Test").Cells(1).Value = ID 'This line throws the error

NewID = ID

End Function