Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default sorting one column, move some duplicates to bottom of sort

Greg,

In the next column - for our example, we will use column C, so use cell C2 - use the formula

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$8=A2)*($B$2:$B$8B2))

Change the 8 of the $A$8 and $B$8 to be the last row of your data, then copy down.

Finally, sort by column C ascending, then column B descending.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Greg" wrote in message
I have a button that sorts multiple columns based on one row. in another row
there are duplicate values ( Peoples names). i would like to keep all records
but would like to send the duplicates to the bottom. sorry I'm not sure of
the proper way to ask this. so here is a basic example.

John Doe; 678
Jane Doe; 654
John Doe: 721
Jim Smith; 672
Jim Smith; 673
John Doe; 688
Sam Andrews; 700

I would like the above to sort like this
John Doe; 721
Sam Andrew; 700
Jim Smith; 673
Jane Doe; 654
John Doe; 688
John Doe; 678
Jim Smith; 672

Sort the number column largest to smallest; keep any lower number duplicate
names sorted on the bottom.

Many Thanks in advance
Greg