Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default How to check if the cell contains number 1 by moving down thecolumns?

You can loop through the columns.

Dim myRow as long
dim iCol as long
dim FirstCol as long
dim LastCol as long
dim myCount as long

with activesheet
firstcol = .range("B1").column 'I know that column B is 2
lastcol = .range("AF1").column 'I hate looking at column AF

myCount = 0
myrow = activcell.row
for icol = firstcol to lastcol
if .cells(myrow,icol).value = 1 then
mycount = mycount + 1
end if
next icol
end with

=======
Another way to do this is to use Excel's =countif() function:

Dim myRow as long
dim myCount as long

with activesheet
myrow = activcell.row
mycount = application.countif(.cells(myrow,1).range("b1:Af1" ), 1)
end with

cyberdude wrote:

Hi,

Suppose the cursor is on a certain row (say row 3 or 40), I want to
check if each cell from column B to column AF contains the number 1.
If it does, the counter i is incremented by 1. I want to do it by a
for next loop such that the column number is a variable. Can it be
done this way? Thank you.

Mike

--

Dave Peterson