Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default Worksheet_FollowHyperlink does not fire if Hyperlink is invalid

I created this very basic follow followhyperlink procedure and even if the
links didn't open, they did put something in the immediate window.

Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
Dim myCell As Excel.Range

Set myCell = Target.Parent
Debug.Print myCell.Address, myCell.Value

End Sub

It sounds like you are opening files with your hyperlinks. You may want to
consider using the 'FileExists' method described here.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

I prefer something that returns a boolean variable and may have found this
somewhere, but this is what I use.

Function myFileExists(myPath As String) As Boolean
Dim FSO As Object
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If FSO.FileExists(myPath) Then
myFileExists = True
'no problem
Else
myFileExists = False
End If

Set FSO = Nothing
End Function

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Billy" wrote:

Hi,

I have some Cells with Hyperlinks to Word-Documents, but sometimes the
Document doesn't exist. If I click on such a Link I'm getting a message like
"Could not open file..."

Now I want to catch this error using the Worksheet_FollowHyperlink-Event.
But it doesn't fire if the Link is invalid.

Any ideas?

Regards,

billy